Tuesday, May 19, 2026

David Letterman on Leaving CBS: Declined to Hear Offers from “60 Minutes” and CBS Radio

Share

Back in 2013, CBS announced that David Letterman’s contract had been extended for two years.

But in the book “Powerhouse” by James Andrew Miller, Letterman says of his decision to retire:

The last contract was for only a year. I was frightened then that I might not even be able to make it through the year. Everything had stopped being what it was and I didn’t want to be the last old guy in late night. And this had been an ongoing conversation. Every time I saw Les, I would say, “You know, Les,” I said, “I’m ready to go any time you need me to go.” And he said, “Everything’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Everything’s fine.” And then when Jay retired, I just thought, Oh, yeah. I’m going to be the last old guy. So that was as meaningful to me as anything else. I just thought, I can’t be the old guy trying to keep up with the kids on late night.

Lee Gabler, Letterman’s agent at CAA, says in the book that “60 Minutes” was interested in Letterman. (He doesn’t say it, but you could see Dave as the Andy Rooney.)

When the Late Show ended, I sat down with Dave and said, “What do you want to do?” And he said, “I don’t know,” and I said, “Well, why don’t we sit down with CBS and come up with a post-term deal?” And 60 Minutes was interested in making a deal with him. Sunday Morning was interested in making a deal. CBS Radio wanted to make a deal. There was conversation about a lecture tour in some kind of a format that he would feel comfortable with, but it turned out he really didn’t want to do anything at that point.

Instead, Dave grew a beard.

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News