Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Satisfaction: Pepsi Gets the Message About Kanye West, Exits Sponsorship of Wireless Festival After Heavy Criticism

Share

This column was first to denounce Pepsi when the Wireless Festival in London said Kanye West would headline three nights this summer.

Then — and not because of us, I’m sure — the British government also weighed in negatively.

Now Pepsi has pulled out of the festival rather than be identified with a performer who embraced Hitler and Nazism, and was an avowed antisemitic.

The festival has not reacted on its website, which still says Pepsi is their sponsor and West is the three night star.

But the soft drink company has made it clear. “Pepsi has decided to withdraw its sponsorship of Wireless Festival,” the company said in a short statement given to multiple British news organizations.

The Kanye West Renaissance has been stopped in its tracks, for the moment.

This doesn’t answer questions about companies like Apple and Eldridge Industries — which co-owns Penske Media outlets– investing in Gamma Records, the label for which West now records.

What Pepsi has done has perhaps sent a signal to other companies which have tacitly endorsed Kanye West that this is a mistake. The owners of SoFi Stadium, where West has performed this week, should get the message.

It was only a year ago that Kanye West released a record called “Heil Hitler.” Prior to that, for several years, Kanye West expressed virulent antisemitism. The Gap, Adidas, Balenciaga, and others ended business agreements with him.

On Friday, skinheads danced at his sold out album launch at SoFi. But social media aggressively disapproved. Pepsi would have faced a massive PR backlash this week if they hadn’t cancelled.

PS When the Festival choice was announced, I sent an email to Chris Manzini, director of PR for Pepsi. That was March 31st at 10:42am. There was no response.

More to come…

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News