Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Don McLean, Post- Domestic Violence Guilty Plea, to Start Tour on August 13th

Share

Don McLean’s about to discover who cares and doesn’t care about his domestic violence guilty plea last month. He’s commencing a tour on August 13th that brings him to New York on September 1st and next April, and Los Angeles next winter. This fall he’s got two dates with Judy Collins and one with Boz Scaggs.

On July 21st, McLean pleaded guilty Thursday to hitting and threatening his wife, Patrisha last January. The McLeans were married for 28 years, but Patrisha divorced him this spring. She received a reported $10 million settlement.

McLean’s guilty plea was to misdemeanor counts of domestic violence assault, domestic violence criminal threatening, criminal mischief, and criminal restraint. The singer of “American Pie” and “Vincent” paid a $1,000 fine and has to stay away from Patrisha. He also has to complete a mental health evaluation within 60 days.

Patrisha says that McLean struck and jabbed at her limbs, put his palms on her temples like a vice, and told her he wanted to strangle her. This went on for four hours. She was finally able to call 911 after locking herself in a bathroom. In a statement she said: “Don took away 30 years of my life by controlling every aspect of it through violence and fear of violence. Because he told me over and over again that if I left him he could kill me, divorce has not freed me from living in fear of him.”

McLean, the Donald Trump of singer songwriters, denies everything. His lawyer told the local newspaper in Maine that Patrisha’s statements “are patently and provably false, and designed for her own publicity.”

Who will be singing along to McLean’s hits, clinking glasses and having a jolly time after all this? That remains to be seen. Also curious is why Judy Collins would still want to be part of this.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News