Wednesday, May 20, 2026

John Singleton Passes Away at Age 51, Trailblazer Was Youngest Director Nominated for the Oscar, And First Black Person Nominated for Best Director

Share

UPDATE Singleton died either yesterday, and the family withheld the news. Or he passed this afternoon. It’s unclear. And it doesn’t matter.

The main thing about John was that he was the youngest person ever to be nominated for Best Director, and first black person, for “Boyz in the Hood.” That we’ve lost him at age 51 is just a towering tragedy. His life has been cut short and we are the worse for it.

Samuel L. Jackson among many expressed his grief on Twitter: “Mourning the loss of a collaborator & True Friend John Singleton. He blazed the trail for many young film makers, always remaining true to who he was & where he came from!!! RIP Brother. Gone Way Too Soon!”

Everyone please take your beta blockers and blood thinners tonight!

EARLIER TODAY John Singleton’s family has announced they’re taking him off life support. He had a stroke on April 17th and never recovered. He turned 51 last January.

As I’ve said before, I so enjoyed John and the times that we spent together at many social events, especially the Oscars. He came to the show every year and loved to hang out in the bar off the stage. He’s been a great guy to talk movies with and Hollywood. He will be sorely missed for that, as well as being a ground breaking director. I hope his family can contain their infighting and figure out a way to show John some respect now.

Here’s their statement:

“We are grateful to his fans, friends and colleagues for the outpouring of love and prayers during this incredibly difficult time. We want to thank all the doctors at Cedars Sinai for the impeccable care he received,” the family said in a statement.

“Like many African Americans, Singleton quietly struggled with hypertension. More than 40% of African American men and women have high blood pressure, which also develops earlier in life and is usually more severe. His family wants to share the message with all to please recognize the symptoms by going to Heart.org.”

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News