Sunday, May 24, 2026

Source: John Lasseter Already Out of Pixar for Good, Disney Waiting to Announce After “Coco” Oscar Run

Share

Pixar’s John Lasseter is supposedly on a six month leave of absence from the animation house.

But I’m told that Lasseter has already negotiated his exit with parent company, Disney. They’re just waiting until “Coco,” Pixar’s release this weekend, has its Oscar run without interference. The six months would end just after the Academy Awards on March 4th.

Lasseter said he was taking his leave as a “a six-month sabbatical” after unspecified “missteps” that made some staffers feel “disrespected or uncomfortable.” But as with all the other sexual harassment situations in Hollywood, more stories came in that make Lasseter’s return seem impossible.

Disney bought Pixar in 2006 for $7.4 billion. Since then Pixar — like Marvel and LucasFilm– has supplied the company with some of its biggest hits. “Coco” is the latest, and tipped early on to win the Oscar for animation.

Lasseter also oversees animation for Disney and is considering the most important creative voice at the company. But that seems not to be enough to keep him on.

“Grabbing, kissing, making comments about physical attributes” — which is what Lasseter is accused of– doesn’t sound very professional, just maybe over animated (to use a pun). Lasseter’s “sabbatical” is just a way of easing him, sources contend.

Calls to Disney PR and an email were not returned.

PS You may not know this, but it was Lasseter who designed the Weinstein Company logo back in 2005.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News