It’s only October 11th, but the Best Actress category for the Oscars is already locking up. There are more than enough potential nominees, and plenty of names out there still to be heard from. Usually, Best Actress produces one or two contenders, and then there’s a rush to gather up the remaining few. Not so this year.
And who’s to say who the leader of the pack is? Everyone has a different idea.
But I’d rank them this way right now:
- Annette Bening– 20th Century Women
- Emma Stone– La La Land
- Natalie Portman– Jackie
- Meryl Streep– Florence Foster Jenkins
- Viola Davis*– Fences (which no one has seen but she won the Tony on Broadway)
- Amy Adams– either Arrival, or Nocturnal Animals
- Ruth Negga–Loving
- Jessica Chastain*– Miss Sloane (also largely unseen)
- Kristen Stewart– Personal Shopper or Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime WalkI
- Isabelle Huppert– Elle
What a great problem to have! And Best Supporting Actress is also getting might crowded:
- Nicole Kidman—Lion
- Michelle Williams–Manchester by the Sea
- Elle Fanning–20th Century Women
- Greta Gerwig– 20th Century Women
- Margo Martindale– The Hollars
- Aja Naomi King– Birth of a Nation
- Octavia Spencer– Hidden Figures
- Taraji P. Henson– Hidden Figures
And lurking out there– still, some surprises to come…What a great problem to have!