Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Francis Ford Coppola’s “Megalopolis” Will Premiere in Cannes, Possibly Without a Distributor and In Competition Despite Bad Buzz

Share

There’s been a big kerfuffle the last day or so over Francis Ford Coppola’s “Megalopolis.”

Yesterday The Hollywood Reporter — with a triple play byline — declared that the movie was awful and unsale-able to a distributor. They said none of the studios wanted it, and no one who’d seen it, liked it.

Oy vey.

Coppola had said “Megalopolis” wouldn’t go to Cannes with a distributor. But, of course, it will — the film will be on the list announced early tomorrow morning. It will play in competition, a real long shot bet considering the advance buzz. It will have “a fifteen minute standing ovation”!

Coppola put up $100 million of his own money. The film costs maybe $120 million. This isn’t the first time he’s gambled the house on a film. “Apocalypse Now” went this way and was a total success. “One from the Heart” was a bust.

Adam Driver stars in a role that I reported Oscar Isaac turned down. Giancarlo Esposito, one of my favorite actors, plays his nemesis in a race to rebuild a New York-like city that has been destroyed. Other actors include Jon Voight, Laurence Fishburne, Aubrey Plaza, Shia LaBeouf, Chloe Fineman, Kathryn Hunter, Dustin Hoffman, D.B., Sweeney, Jason Schwartzman, Baily Ives, Grace Vanderwaal and James Remar.

There have been no screenings in New York so far. The screening in LA included a lot of Coppola pals like Al Pacino and Anjelica Huston. No one who was there came out raving. Even Deadline’s Michael Fleming, who was there, has given it restrained praise. A film that’s called “experimental” with no citations for the actors is worrisome.

Coppola is in the difficult position of having at least three of the best movies of all time — “The Godfather I and II,” and “Apocalypse Now.” There are a half dozen other excellent films on his resume. But the last three were pretty dismal, including one I saw years ago at Cannes called “Tetro” that was a big mess.

So, on to the Cannes announcements tomorrow.

Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman began his Showbiz411 column in April 2009 after 10 years with Fox News, where he created the Fox411 column. His movie reviews are carried by Rotten Tomatoes, and he is a member of both the movie and TV branches of the Critics Choice Awards. His articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. He is also the writer and co-producer of "Only the Strong Survive," a selection of the Cannes, Sundance, and Telluride Film festivals, directed by DA Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus.
spot_img

Read more

In Other News