Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Not Cancelled: Met Ball Gala Will Go On as Planned Because COVID-19 Is Basically Afraid of Anna Wintour

Share

The Met Ball Gala will not cancel its May 4th date. It’s going on because basically, COVID-19 is afraid of Anna Wintour and wants to come but is waiting for an invitation.

If COVID-19 doesn’t get an invite, it may come in disguise, as part of someone’s costume. Right now it’s talking to Meryl Streep and Rihanna, but has a better chance sneaking in on Lady Gaga.

Nancy Chilton, the chief external relations officer of the Costume Institute, told The Cut: “We will of course continue to keep a close eye on the situation.”

The theme of the Ball this year is “About Time: Fashion and Duration,” sponsored by Louis Vuitton. It will be interesting to see who shows up dressed as an hourglass, with the sand running out.

Will celebrities want to come to the Ball? As I said yesterday, the Kardashians will come even if they’re the only guests. They think Anna likes them.

Still waiting to hear about a variety of events. The Auto Show at the Javits Center has postponed until August. Full Frame Documentary festival has cancelled. So has the NAB TV Syndication convention in Las Vegas. Waiting for word on CinemaCon, also in Las Vegas; the Film Society of Lincoln Center’s Chaplin Awards, and the Tribeca Film Festival.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News