Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Jimmy Kimmel Returns to ABC Stronger than Ever: Disney Stares Down Donald Trump After Hollywood Protests Suspension

Share

ABC says:

“Last Wednesday, we made the decision to suspend production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country. It is a decision we made because we felt some of the comments were ill-timed and thus insensitive. We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday.”

Jimmy Kimmel is coming back. Tomorrow.

Jimmy Kimmel is coming back. Disney is staring down Donald Trump. Protests over ABC and Disney’s suspension, and lots of bad will that could have mushroomed into real corporate disaster, have helped make Kimmel stronger than ever.

Certainly the threat of FCC licenses being removed is over. Trump was wielding that like a baseball bat. But Trump has struck out. Bob Iger, head of Disney, comes out a hero.

Kimmel’s ratings tomorrow night should be through the roof.

Earlier I wrote that 400 Hollywood stars signed a letter protesting the suspension. Many content creators said they’d never work with Disney again if Kimmel didn’t return. Disney faced a bleak future in the creative community. That has now been avoided.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News