Friday, May 22, 2026

Sex and the City: And Just Like That the Theme Music from the TV Series is Gone, Did Anyone Notice?

Share

And just like that, the theme music from “Sex and the City” is gone.

Has anyone noticed?

In the HBO Max reboot, there is no opening sequence of Carrie getting splashed by a bus passing by with her face on the side.

And there’s no jaunty theme music written Douglas Cuomo.

I wondered if maybe the license expired and HBO didn’t want to pay for it anymore. But Cuomo– who’s writing operas and pieces for the London Philharmonic now — says that’s not it.

“HBO owns the music, they can do anything they want with it,” he told me. “Maybe it’s because the women are older and they’re not in that place anymore dramatically. But I don’t know.”

The “SATC” theme is heard just at the very beginning of Episode 1, for a second, and slowly fading out. Instead, there is no theme. It’s all existing music, disco, or some pedestrian stuff

But maybe that’s what’s wrong with “And Just Like That.” With one character MIA, another dead, and one more exiting after episode 3, the show has a somber tone to it. It’s not fun anymore. Cuomo’s theme set a great tone. And it’s glaringly missing.

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News