Friday, May 22, 2026

“Nightmare Alley” Press Nightmare as Stars Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett MIA, Director Del Toro Combined Into Group Q&A

Share

Today’s virtual press junket for Guillermo del Toro’s “Nightmare Alley” turned into a nightmare.

Both stars Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett are completely MIA and not participating. Cooper was never on the docket, Blanchett was. But she was up at 3:30 this morning and Zoomed in from London for the Q&A after the premiere at Alice Tully Hall, so she’s probably sleeping now. Still, it’s kind of crazy that the film’s two big stars aren’t doing press.

On top of that, del Toro was originally offered in a solo Q&A to press in an invite to the Critics Choice Association. But this morning Searchlight Films sent out a message that del Toro was being combined with actors Rooney Mara and Richard Jenkins. It’s very unusual for a director of del Toro’s importance not to do his own Q&A. Also missing from the entire press junket is screenwriter Kim Morgan, who’s never written a movie before but recently married del Toro.

None of this should come as any surprise to the press. We were told that there was “absolutely not” going to be a reception or event after last night’s screening. And yet, as the audience poured out of the Alice Tully theater, it was clear that certain guests were being herded upstairs to a private party. Both directors Wes Anderson and Joel Coen were spotted, as well as actress Gina Gershon. The lobby was suddenly filled with press people who’d attended the screening but were now told by security that the building was closed to them, and to get out fast.

Nightmare indeed!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News