Friday, May 22, 2026

“Jeopardy!” Ignored Alex Trebek’s Choices for a Successor, Didn’t Even Give Them Auditions

Share

The producers of “Jeopardy!” and Sony TV obviously didn’t care what Alex Trebek thought about who should succeed him as host of the game show.

In 2018, Trebek told TMZ’s Harvey Levin on the air that he’d suggested two people to the show. These ideas obviously fell on deaf ears.

One was Los Angeles King announcer Alex Faust, who would have been competition for EP Mike Richards. Faust is a young, good looking white guy. Whoops! That’s what Richards thought he was himself!

The other was CNN legal analyst Laura Coates, a Black woman who is smart, intelligent, and articulate.

Everyone forgot about this interview, it was all forgotten, and Sony TV didn’t even ask these people to do a week’s worth of shows. Instead we got people like Dr. Oz, and both Good Morning America hosts, neither of whom could have done the show anyway.

Now we’re in this weird situation with Richards out. Ken Jennings is who I was told producers expected to choose last winter before Richards took over the process and rigged the competition in his favor. Some insiders also speculate the Mayim Bialik was on track for the job but her current Fox sitcom precluded her doing it full time.

Interesting that Trebek’s wishes were ignored, and a whole new marketing shpiel was introduced. What a shitshow.

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News