Sunday, May 24, 2026

Under Pressure: Director Bryan Singer Disappears from Freddie Mercury Movie, Production Halted

Share

This is a first: a director, Bryan Singer, has disappeared from his movie. The studio has halted production on the London set of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the story of singer Freddie Mercury and the group Queen. Singer went off to Thanksgiving and never returned, apparently.

The studio says: : “Twentieth Century Fox Film has temporarily halted production on Bohemian Rhapsody due to the unexpected unavailability of Bryan Singer.”

Singer’s publicist then said: “This is a personal health matter concerning Bryan and his family.  Bryan hopes to get back to work on the film soon after the holidays.”

I’ll bet Fox and star Rami Malek hope he gets back to work soon, too.

This is highly unusual. But Singer has disappeared from sets before. More urgently, in this time of sexual harassment accusations, Singer is often mentioned. Once a great friend of Kevin Spacey, whom he directed in “The Usual Suspects,” Singer was named three years ago in a scandalous lawsuit claiming he was part of a sex ring. The case was dismissed eventually. But Singer’s name still turns up in various stories. It’s unclear whether his being AWOL has something to do with a new case or possibly a story.

Is this the real life? Or is it just fantasy? Absolutely nothing about this story makes sense, and the “health” excuse doesn’t ring true. But we’ll see.

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News