Tuesday, May 19, 2026

After Impassioned Accusations, Producer Scott Rudin Says He’s “Stepping Back” From Film & TV Projects, Too

Share

Over the weekend, the brother of a former Scott Rudin assistant accused the producer of adding to his brother’s suicide last October.

Now Rudin, who first said he was “stepping aside” from Broadway projects, has sent a statement saying he’s doing the same with film and TV.

Rudin is on the run. His empire is crumbling. His mega million production of “The Music Man” with Sutton Foster and Hugh Jackman is in peril.

Now Rudin writes:

“I am stepping back from my film and streaming projects in addition to my work on Broadway. I am doing so to take the time to work on personal issues I should have long ago. When I commented over the weekend, I was focused on Broadway reopening successfully and not wanting my previous behavior to detract from everyone’s efforts to return. It’s clear to me I should take the same path in film and streaming. I am profoundly sorry for the pain my behavior has caused and I take this step with a commitment to grow and change.”

Okay, great. He’s not sorry for anything, trust me. His house is burning down. He has no friends in the business after being vicious to everyone for three decades.

Rudin’s life has been no bed of roses. Maybe a little therapy would have helped. He told the NY Times in 1993 that he didn’t even know where his father worked.

“I was a Jewish kid from Long Island who didn’t want to be a Jewish kid from Long Island,” Rudin told Philip Weiss. “There’s no mystery to it. It’s fairly self-explanatory. My father sold men’s clothing. I don’t know where he works now. He was a salesman. You know, with sample cases.”

Ouch!

Where this will all lead? Rudin never takes a backseat to anyone. I can’t imagine he’s “stepping away” from anything. But hold on. There’s always more to the story.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News