Saturday, May 23, 2026

War: Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over “Black Widow” Streaming, Says Supposed to Have Only Theatrical Run

Share

Natasha Romanoff is very mad.

Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney-Marvel claiming “Black Widow” was only supposed to be released in theaters. She’s saying the Disney Plus simultaneous release violated her contract and cut into box office receipts.

“Disney intentionally induced Marvel’s breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel,” the suit says according to the Wall Street Journal.

This is war.

This is also brave of Scarlett. She’s taking a chance on cutting off doing business with all of Disney, which encompasses Marvel, Lucas Films, Searchlight and various off shoots of 20th Century Fox.

Disney wasn’t the only studio to launch simultaneous releases in theaters and on streaming since the pandemic made theater going sketchy. Warner Bros. has been releasing all its films on HBO Max at the same time. Disney is charging 30 bucks on Disney Plus for the likes of “Cruella” and “Jungle Cruise.” In he case of “Cruella,” the difference could be what it prevented the Emma Stone starrer from hitting $100 million.

“Black Widow” has made just $158 million domestically and a total worldwide of $318 million. It’s possible it could have made over $200 million in the US if it had just been in theaters.

What if everyone starts doing this?

“This will surely not be the last case where Hollywood talent stands up to Disney and makes it clear that, whatever the company may pretend, it has a legal obligation to honor its contracts,” said John Berlinski, an attorney at Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP who represents Ms. Johansson.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News