Friday, May 22, 2026

Sean Penn’s Cannes Trip: 70 “Flag Day” Crew Members with Families Coming to Festival, Some as His Guests

Share

EXCLUSIVE Don’t say Sean Penn isn’t grateful to his crew from “Flag Day.” He’s bringing them to Cannes!

That’s right. The talk of the Croisette this morning on the day before the Festival de Cannes opens is that Penn is giving his crew an extraordinary gift.

“Flag Day” opens in Cannes this Saturday, July 10th. And in the audience will be at least 7o people connected to the film. Sean’s doing them a solid for working at low wages on his independent film.

A source says: “He’s doing this as a beautiful gesture. There’s no posse coming. Even his wife is staying home so he can bring everyone. It’s just the cast and crew and some of their families.”

And I don’t think that includes the 20 or so people who have producing credits on “Flag Day.” This means hairstylists, camera people, sound, editing, and so on.

UPDATE: Sean’s publicist says, “He’s not paying for 70 people. A lot of people from the film are going. Some are paying for themselves. Others may have deals with the foreign distributor.”

Where will they all stay? I’m told most of them will go into AirBnB rentals since hotels are hard to come by for this Cannes because it’s happening in the middle of France’s vacation high season. Sean, properly, will be installed at one of the famed hotels along the Croisette. (Although it’s not like he isn’t used to camping out. He’s spent a lot of time in Haiti helping to rebuild that country.)

At least this way Sean is guaranteed a standing ovation when “Flag Day” concludes. But it would have anyway. A former head of the jury, the two time Oscar winner is a Cannes favorite.

“Flag Day” opens next month in the US, from MGM Studios.

PS If you’re on the “Flag Day” trip, drop us a line at showbiz411@gmail.com. I’ll reply with restaurant recommendations!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News