Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Bruce Springsteen Says No Touring for Him, E Street Band in 2019: “The year will be consumed by a break after our Broadway run”

Share

Bruce Springsteen made SO MUCH MONEY during his 15 month run on Broadway, he’s going to take 2019 off.

That may not be music to the ears of his fans, or even to the E Street Band and everyone who earns a living from Springsteen tours, but the Boss said it and he means it. According to a post last night, he wrote: “The year will be consumed by a break after our Broadway run.”

Springsteen — who will turn 70 in September 2019– may release a solo album in 2019, but not right away. First comes his Broadway album, due December 14th, and the Netflix version of the Broadway show, launching December 16th. A solo album — which would need promotion — sounds like something for spring 2019. But no tour, got that?

Most weeks during the Broadway run, Bruce averaged $2 million at the Broadway box office. He took a few weeks off, and alternated between 4 and 5 performances a week. Let’s say he grossed a ballpark $100 million. His costs were minimal– rental of the theater, advertising. It’s possible Bruce grossed $90 million in 15 months. Why go back on the road so fast?

PS Bruce has been living in Manhattan not far from the Walter Kerr Theater. When he goes home to New Jersey, it’s to the nice town of Colt’s Neck, where a murder scandal has been unfolding– a man allegedly killed his brother, sister-in-law, and their young kids. It would be safer if Bruce stayed in New York!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News