Friday, May 22, 2026

“Roseanne” Can’t Come Back– Without Roseanne or On Fox–for a Variety of Reasons

Share

There are some wild clickbait stories popping up today about the return of “Roseanne.”

One would be to kill off the Roseanne character and have the family continue without her.

The other is to move the whole thing to Fox, like Tim Allen’s show, where racist comments are a given.

The answer on both counts is “NO.” Won’t happen.

First of all, “Roseanne” with a dead Roseanne would face endless Twitter and social media attacks from Barr. She can’t shut up, she won’t go away, she’s crazy as she can be. She’d be hounding the cast and crew and the viewers all day long.

Second, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are gone. They haven’t said a word about Barr’s scandal. Metcalf is up for a Tony Award, and it’s hers to lose if she says the wrong thing now. Goodman has a thriving movie career and good will at places like “SNL.” He is not going to jeopardize any of that by continuing with this mess. It’s best for each of them to get away from “Roseanne” fast, clean break, over.

Sara Gilbert must be dashed. The “Roseanne” revival was her idea, and it was great money. Even she knows that the party is over. And she has a day job – “The Talk” on CBS– that could adversely affected.

So “Roseanne” is over. There’s no going back.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News