Wednesday, May 20, 2026

“The Magnificent Seven” Director Says If it’s a Hit (It Will Be) He’d Be Up for Magnificent 8 and 9

Share

Sony, still grilling sausages, is going to have a big hit this weekend. “The Magnificent Seven” rode into town last night for sneaks with $1.75 million. Boxofficemojo points out that’s a little better even than “Sully,” which has now turned into a solid hit and possible Oscar nominee.

“M7” is a remake, of course, but the good kind, not “Ben Hur.” Antoine Fuqua reunites with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke, adds Chris Pratt, Peter Sarsgard and Vincent D’Onofrio. All them are dead on in this serious rebooting of the straight ahead western. This isn’t Quentin Tarantino or even Mel Brooks. It’s the real thing. And while there isn’t much dialogue, there’s plenty of action. Great bar fights, bows and arrows, and horse action with no horsing around. You’ll also enjoy Chris Pratt’s magic tricks.

I can’t give away the story, but the new “M7” follows the plot of the original pretty closely. Not everyone gets out alive, so watch closely. Enough of the cast makes it that I asked Fuqua in Toronto if he’d be open to sequels– a “Magnificent 8” or “Magnificent 9.” He said, “If this is a hit, I’d be open to it, sure. Take Denzel and whoever’s left, and regroup.”

I think it will happen.

Pay special attention to Ethan Hawke’s character. Goodnight Robicheaux (played in the 1960 original by Brad Dexter). He’s doing something a little different than the others. His character has one of the best story arcs. And we joked in Toronto, this movie didn’t take 12 years to make!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News