Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Academy Insider: “NO” to Jimmy Kimmel as Oscar Host

Share

Jimmy Kimmel as Oscar host? An emphatic “no” has come from a top Academy insider who really looked horrified when I mentioned the name recently. There was a strong case being made for Kimmel based on a lot of things– his show on ABC by March 2nd, 2014 will be under siege from Jimmy Fallon’s move to the Tonight show at 11:35pm.

ABC really wants Kimmel for the Oscars, I am told. And he’s turned into a friend of many younger Hollywood types. If Kimmel were to host the show, he could just go across the street and do his own show, live, extending Oscar night. It does make sense. But unless something really changes, the chances of Kimmel hosting the next Academy Awards is nil.

Of course, you never know. The Academy gets a new president this summer when Hawk Koch’s term is up. The new guy or gal will have ideas of their own. And then returning show producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan will have input. But Seth MacFarlane has already said no to a return. Billy Crystal is done. Neil Patrick Harris could score a hat trick by hosting the Tonys, Emmys and Oscars, but I doubt it. Hugh Jackman is always a possibility.

And you know: whoever does it will be panned the next day for minute reasons. No one leaves the Oscar host job unscathed.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News