Sunday, May 24, 2026

Seth Meyers Still in Lead to Co-Host with Kelly Ripa, Pat Kiernan Second

Share

Anything can happen, and I am hedging my bets, but: as I wrote several weeks ago, Seth Meyers is still the leading candidate to join Kelly Ripa as co-host on “Live!” when it returns on September 4th. (The day before, Kelly is going solo.) Myers has demurred but never actually said he wouldn’t be taking the job. He’s the only guest host who did a five days in a row gig with Kelly, and it was during July sweeps. He says he loves his “Saturday Night Live” job, but if Meyers wants more after 11 years, co-hosting with Kelly would be a perfect transition into bigger things.

The other possible candidates have conflicts, too. Unlike Meyers, though, their conflicts are outside of New York, and they live away from the Big Apple. Michael Strahan is tied up in Los Angeles every Sunday with Fox NFL Sunday. Joel McHale still has the sitcom “Community” on NBC, from Los Angeles. Josh Groban has a demanding concert schedule, and is recording a new album. Nick Lachey, frankly, is not up to the job, although some kind of show hosting looks like it’s in his future.

All of these guys could do it, if they had to. But the centerpiece of “Live!” is the host-chat, developed by Regis Philbin. And a lot of that has to do with going out in New York during the week, seeing people, and having funny stories to tell the next morning. Merely quipping, or reading from newspaper clips, headlines, topics of the day–that’s not what made “Live with Regis and…” a success for 29 years.

The only other person who, like Meyers, is ready for that responsibility? Local fave Pat Kiernan from New York 1 News. He wants the job, people like him, he’s funny, spontaneous and, importantly, here in New York. Don’t count him out.

Michael Gelman is great at building up suspense, so what him and the “Live!” pr people work the press over the next two weeks so that the tune in on September 4th is crazy. Could it be someone who didn’t serve as guest host during the last nine months? Maybe. But unlikely.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News