Sunday, August 23, 2026

Kennedy Center Honors Announcement is Now Way Overdue: Will This Be the Week We Hear Trump’s Choices? And Where Will It Be Held?

Share

★ Make Showbiz411 your Preferred Source on Google

The clock is ticking for this year’s Kennedy Center Honors.

Most years, the announcement of the names comes in July. Once recently, it was June.

Last year, the announcement was made on August 13th.

But so far, this year, crickets from Trump and his lackeys who’ve driven the Center out of business and into chaos.

Now we’re ten days late from last year. One problem is that the Kennedy Center is closed except to staff. Some kind of construction is going in inside the building. Can it even be used in December for a show and a reception?

As I’ve said before, there aren’t many venues in Washington for this kind of event. And the planning for producers does take three or four months. So decisions have to be made.

If they do put on the Honors, who would get them? Who would accept one? Liza Minnelli told me earlier this year that she’d take it if offered. Liza would appease a lot of audiences — theater, movies, gay, music. But a source close to her told me they doubt she’d accept it under Trump.

The MAGA actors who could be chosen include Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and Dennis Quaid. If Voight got it, they could ask his “Coming Home” co-star Jane Fonda to present it. I’d pay money for that.

In music, there are plenty of country stars who’d line up for the honor, starting with Lee Greenwood.

But R&B, jazz, dance, classical music? Those would likely be harder areas to find someone.

Stay tuned this week. We may be skipping the Kennedy Center Honors this year…

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedman
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009, where he covered Michael Jackson, and previously wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine in the mid-1990s, where he covered the O.J. Simpson trial. He also edited Fame magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News