Tuesday, August 18, 2026

TOLDYA: Vanity Fair Couldn’t Get a Celebrity for September Cover, Went with Fashion Designer Marc Jacobs After Miley Cyrus Said No

Share

★ Make Showbiz411 your Preferred Source on Google

I told you!

Vanity Fair could not get a celebrity for its September issue. They were forced to go with fashion designer Marc Jacobs instead.

Vanity Fair is NOT a fashion magazine. That’s what Vogue is for at Conde Nast. Marc Jacobs means nothing to the magazine’s readers. He’s very talented, but not a draw.

This happened because singer Miley Cyrus backed out at the last minute, according to my sources.

This is a real blow for the magazine’s new staff including editor Mark Guiducci.

As Dick Stolley and Pat Ryan used to say at the original People magazine, when in trouble go with television. Vanity Fair could have embraced the Emmy Awards for September with lots of shows and actors to choose from.

Did they all say NO????

This is an abomination for a celebrity magazine. Advertorial on the cover, and the September one at that. (See cover, scroll below.)

I think I told you, years ago when I edited Fame magazine I once had a nightmare that the magazine came out and the cover was just trees! No person! No star for the newsstand. I awoke in a sweat, and immediately got Bruce Willis’s publicist, Paul Bloch, to say yes. The Marc Jacobs cover must have everyone at Conde Nast dopey from no sleep. 

What happened here? When Radhika Jones left as editor, and Anna Wintour replaced her with Guiducci, Anna’s daughter’s friend, the magazine fired all of its Hollywood staff. Most of them came from Entertainment Weekly and had the connections to bring in covers. A lot of the time, Jones didn’t want those choices, it was her fault they didn’t happen. But now the Hollywood staff is gone. This is the result.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedman
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009, where he covered Michael Jackson, and previously wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine in the mid-1990s, where he covered the O.J. Simpson trial. He also edited Fame magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News