Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Barbra Streisand’s Manager of 60 Years, The Great Marty Erlichman, Quietly Retires at Age 96 as Cannes Plans Tribute to Singer

Share

A long time ago in a far off galaxy, Marty Erlichman became Barbra Streisand’s manager. Like, more than 60 years ago.

Now it seems that Marty, the most irascible and successful of talent managers anywhere, has retired.

Calls to his famous office phone say the number has been disconnected.

Marty is 96, by the way.

Erlichman — “there’s no h!” — has been Streisand’s one and only manager all these decades.

I’m told indeed that he has retired even if he wouldn’t call it that. But not being able to dial that number is a seismic change for a lot of us.

Marty, alas, was not part of Barbra’s tribute to Robert Redford last night at the Oscars. He probably won’t accompany the famed singer to Cannes in May for her Palme d’Or award. I’m sure she’s very disappointed, and Marty is, too.

Marty has a gruff exterior but a heart of gold. Years ago I ran into him in a private dining room at the Staples Center during the Grammys. He said, with devilish grin, “Are you going into the show?” I said I would but was still talking to people backstage. He suddenly brandished two tickets, maybe the best in the house. “Here,” he said, “Barbra’s not going in anyway.” It was one of the loveliest moments ever. I’ve never forgotten it.

Marty, enjoy some downtime. You’ve earned it!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News