Friday, May 22, 2026

Michael Jackson Catalog Sale Completed: Total Value Was $600 Mil Lower Than Announced Last Year

Share

I told you last year that the total value of the Michael Jackson music publishing company would not be $1.8 billion. I was right. It’s come in closer to $1.2 billion.

Variety reported the sale of a 50% interest to Sony Music Publishing was coming. Now they say it’s been completed. Sony will pay $600 million for half of Mijac and MJJ Publishing, although even that number seems high.

As I said last year, Michael didn’t write a lot of his own songs. He did amass a catalog of other people’s songs, which make up a big piece of this deal.

Read my original story here. See in that story all the songs in the catalog. Michael got that idea from Paul McCartney back in 1984.

This deal has nothing to do with the Beatles catalog. For a long time, Warner Chappell Music was the administrator for MJJ. This is a nice coup for Jon Platt, who ran Warner Chappell and is now in charge of Sony Music. Platt was feted last Saturday as an Industry Icon at Clive Davis’s pre Grammy dinner. He spoke for a long time but never mentioned this deal!

PS On a non business note, I ran into Paris Jackson at the Warner Music party last week. She is absolutely lovely, and a knockout beauty. Paris is making music and considers herself a rocker, which is fine. But something tells me bigger things are coming for her. Just hold on. Michael did a good job with his kids!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News