Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Report: James Franco to Pay $2.2 Million Settlement in Sexual Misconduct Suit, Career Wrecked

Share

Report just now that James Franco will pay $2.2 million settlement in his sexual misconduct case. He career, as I wrote earlier this month, is just wrecked from this.

The Hollywood Reporter says “Franco and associated entities” — meaning insurance–  have agreed to pay $2,235,000.

Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Toni Gaal, two former students in Franco’s acting class, led the lawsuit back in Oct. 2020.

THR says:

“Tither-Kaplan is getting $670,500 minus $223,500 less in fees going to the lawyers. Gaal will get $223,500 minus $74,500 to the lawyers. And the other students would get almost two-thirds of the remaining pot of $1.341 million with the lawyers total take being around $827,000.

“Franco has also agreed to “non-economic” terms for the individual plaintiffs, although that’s presently the subject of a motion to seal.”

Franco has issued a statement: “While Defendants continue to deny the allegations in the Complaint, they acknowledge that Plaintiffs have raised important issues; and all parties strongly believe that now is a critical time to focus on addressing the mistreatment of women in Hollywood. All agree on the need to make sure that no one in the entertainment industry — regardless of race, religion, disability, ethnicity, background, gender or sexual orientation — faces discrimination, harassment or prejudice of any kind.”

It’s hard to understand how Franco will make a career comeback after this. So far, other “cancelled” actors like Nate Parker and Jason Mitchell have had no luck, Parker has had some projects funded, but they’ve been ignored.

Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman began his Showbiz411 column in April 2009 after 10 years with Fox News, where he created the Fox411 column. His movie reviews are carried by Rotten Tomatoes, and he is a member of both the movie and TV branches of the Critics Choice Awards. His articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. He is also the writer and co-producer of "Only the Strong Survive," a selection of the Cannes, Sundance, and Telluride Film festivals, directed by DA Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus.
spot_img

Read more

In Other News