Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Exclusive: “Young and Restless” Star Doug Davidson Says He’s Been Fired After 40 Years

Share

Emmy winning actor Doug Davidson says he’s been fired from CBS’s “The Young and the Restless.” He’s played Paul Williams since 1978 and is the longest running actor on the show. He’s 63 and is considered the “captain” of the show.

On Twitter in the last hour he conceded that he’d been let go, that the show’s producers are “going in a different direction.”

“They are doing away with history,” he Tweeted to a fan. “It does hurt, to be honest.”

“The Young and the Restless” is owned by Sony TV with CBS but was created by the late Bill Bell, who sold them the show years ago. His daughter, LauraLee Bell, has been on the show for about 30 years and plays Davidson’s wife.

Lately, “Y&R” has been shedding veteran players like Eileen Davidson (not related), Mishael Morgan, and Christel Khalil. Ratings are plummeting, and there’s a fear that the popular black family on the show is being replaced by EP Mal Young with a new Latino family.

It could be that CBS is trying to shut down the show by purposely antagonizing viewers. They did that in 2010 with “As the World Turns” and “Guiding Light.” CBS’s Les Moonves told me then that he didn’t want to pay for the soaps because they cost so much to produce. “The Talk,” starring his wife Julie Chen, was much cheaper. Of course, Moonves is now gone and Chen may be soon as well.

 

 

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News