Friday, May 22, 2026

Cannes 2018: Controversial Director Lars von Trier Will be Muzzled, American Stars Are Staying Home

Share

The 2018 Cannes Film Festival is going to have to find a groove without a lot of US celebs.

For one thing, Andrew Garfield, one of the stars of David Robert Mitchell’s “Under the Silver Lake,” is stuck on Broadway where he’s performing six long shows a week of “Angels in America.” The newly minted Tony Award nominee is likely to win Best Actor, too, so it’s not like he can get away.

But now I’m told Garfield’s “Silver Lake” co-star Riley Keough isn’t coming to Cannes, either. And that’s a blow because Riley– who is hot as a pistol right now– is also in Lars von Trier’s controversial and violent “The House That Jack Built.”

Keough isn’t the only star from the von Trier movie not going to Cannes. Uma Thurman is also skipping the festival. And that means a lot less star wattage on the Croisette.

The von Trier movie will also be notable for something else. I’m told that the Danish director, who got himself banned from Cannes a few years ago after making comments about Nazis, will not have a press conference for “The House That Jack Built.” Since his banishment began at a press conference, I suppose the feeling is that it’s best to muzzle him.

Of course, at the press conference for “Melancholia,” von Trier also suggested to his female stars on the dais– Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg– that he “Make a porno” with them. I guess Keough and Thurman will be spared that kind of situation on a dais. (Keough’s publicist says she’s working at that time.)

Also not coming to Cannes is Jake Gyllenhaal, star of Paul Dano’s “Wildlife,” shows in the Cannes Critics Week. “Wildlife” was a Sundance hit, with Jake co-starring alongside Carey Mulligan. She’s likely not attending either as the British actress is going into an off Broadway play soon. Gyllenhaal may be rehearsing for his Leonard Bernstein biopic, so he must “conduct himself” very carefully!

PS All of this news is disappointing. These films are must-see attractions. Let’s hope one of these actors re-considers!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News