Saturday, May 23, 2026

Oscars: No Gold Statues on the Red Carpet This Year, as Selfie Magnets Get the Boot in #Metoo Era

Share

No one is accusing the huge gold Oscar statues that dot the Academy Awards red carpet of anything. I want to make it clear.

There were whispers that the Times– L.A., NY, one of those papers– was working on something. No one knows.

But for the first time in recent memory the Oscar red carpet will not have gold statues placed on the red carpet or anywhere in sight.

It’s not like they were offensive– the statues are anatomically indifferent. They’re not CIS, or trans or anything else. ‘It’ is their pronoun. And ‘them.’

But the word has gone out that news crews will not have to report on the painting of the statues this year. They are in repose. Guests will be disappointed. The gold statues were the subject of many selfies. But again, there are said to be anecdotes of the statues getting too frisky. Some of them are said to have “warmed up” during photo ops that got too close. But that might have been a heater in the lighting above!

A source said, “They might possibly have some inside the theater but right now there aren’t any plans to have them anywhere else. The only thing I can think is either they are staging a silent protest or have all made plans to hang out on Hollywood Blvd with the tourists.”

Either way, the boys are gone. And the red carpet will be a much safer place!

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News