Saturday, May 23, 2026

Carl Reiner, Dick Cavett on Sid Caesar: “Genius” Performer with “Talent of 10 Men”

Share

Carl Reiner has posted two Tweets about his friend of 60 years, Sid Caesar.

I spoke to Dick Cavett yesterday on the phone in New York. Cavett never worked for Caesar but knew him, and interviewed him on his talk show. Before that, Cavett had worked on The Jerry Lewis Show, and The Tonight Show with Jack Paar.

Carl Reiner:

Dick Cavett: “I met Carl in Lindy’s restaurant when it was really Lindy’s. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade came along. Sid was on a float! A few days later I went back and he was sitting there at Lindy’s. I went over, and said something sappy. He raised his hand and shook my hand, and went back to eating…
…I had him on my show even though he was a notorious bad talker. We did two half hours in Atlantic City. He was wonderful. Something about us together worked. At the end of it, he was so happy. He said, What a great interview!…
…I was once in a car with him, Jonathan Winters, Jimmy Durante and Dick Shawn. I was working on The Jerry Lewis Show and we were doing something on “It’s A Mad Mad World”…If we’d only made a video of it, it’s lost to the world…
…He was a genius performer. Enough talent for 10 men. That genius dexterity with language! He certainly inspired a lot of performers…His legacy was fabulous shows we can still watch…”

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News