It’s either the effect of “Guardians of the Galaxy” being such a big hit– or– people are really digging hearing good music. Either way, the soundtrack to that movie– aka “Awesome Mix Tape Vol 1” is number 1 this week. The soundtrack sold 158K copies and trounced music from today– the debut release from Five Seconds of Summer, a NOW compilation of recent hits, and groups called Spoon and Godsmack. Not bad.
What’s on that soundtrack? Here’s the track list:
2. “Go All the Way” Performed by Raspberries
3. “Spirit in the Sky”* Performed by Norman Greenbaum
4. “Moonage Daydream” Performed by David Bowie
5. “Fooled Around and Fell in Love” Performed by Elvin Bishop
6. “I’m Not in Love” Performed by 10cc
7. “I Want You Back” Performed by Jackson 5
8. “Come and Get Your Love” Performed by Redbone
9. “Cherry Bomb” Performed by The Runaways
10. “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” Performed by Rupert Holmes
11. “O-O-H Child” Performed by The Five Stairsteps
12. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” Performed by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
If you like this stuff, look up the rest of the music by these groups. The Raspberries were Eric Carmen’s group. They had other hits worth listening to including “Overnight Sensation” and “Let’s Pretend.” Norman Greenbaum never had another hit, and pretty much disappeared. “Ooh Ooh Child” is played regularly on oldies stations. 10 cc was a great, unique band. Their other big hit was “The Things We Do for Love.” The Runaways morphed into Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. The Jackson 5 and David Bowie, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell– self explanatory.
In new music news, circle Sept 23rd for Jennifer Hudson’s long awaited “JHud” album. Details are coming. Hopefully, there are some big catchy ballads to showcase her amazing voice.