Sunday, May 24, 2026

Exclusive: Controversial Director Tony Kaye (“American History X”) Looking at Comeback with Vito Schnabel’s “The Trainer”

Share

There wasn’t a more controversial movie in 1998 as “American History X.” The director, Tony Kaye, was divisive and a lightning rod for trouble.

Kaye came from commercials and videos. And when “American History X” receded into history as a flop, that’s where Kaye returned. He’s made a few films since then, some unreleased, all unattended. It’s been a decade since his last offering, “Detachment,” which was unrated, undistributed, and unseen. “Detachment” had an all star cast with Adrien Brody, Marcia Gay Harden, Blythe Danner, James Caan, and Christina Hendricks. But over six weeks in 2012 it made just $70,000.

Now I’m hearing that Kaye has signed to direct his first film in years that will really get off the ground. “The Trainer” stars and was written by someone we don’t think of as an actor: Vito Schnabel, the art gallerist son of famed painter Julian Schnabel. Vito is 35 years old, and, aside from having four iterations of his galleries, is best known for dating hot women including Heidi Klum, Irina Shayk, and Amber Heard.

Vito, I’m told, wrote “The Trainer,” and had planned to direct it. But to write, direct, and star in a first movie is a tall order. Enter Kaye. Schnabel’s film will feature Julia Fox, who recently dated Kanye West, and a bevy of famous people from Schnabel’s world.

Vito comes from a movie family. His dad has made some amazing films like “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly,” “Basquiat,” “Before Night Falls,” and “At Eternity’s Gate.” Vito’s sister, Stella, has a long list of film credits. So the genetic predisposition is there.

Again, “The Trainer,” I am told, will have a lot of surprise cameos including one from “Soprano’s” star Stevie van Zandt, aka the leader of the E Street Band and the Disciples of Soul. Filming, I’m told, is imminent. Mark this one under “want to see ASAP.”

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News