Thursday, May 21, 2026

Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department: Alec Baldwin Active Part of Investigation, Too Early for Charges, Live Rounds Found on Set

Share

The Santa Fe Sheriff’s department has no news yet about bringing any charges in the “Rust” movie Alec Baldwin scandal concerning the death of Halyna Hutchins and shooting of Joel Souza.

The sheriff, Adan Mendoza,  said at a press conference going on right now that they’ve got the bullet that killed Hutchins and was removed from Souza’s shoulder. More importantly, they also have matching live rounds from the weapon that killed Hutchins found on the set. This indicates that the gun was shot more than once, not necessarily only by Baldwin but by others also perhaps prior to the incident. There have been allegations that the gun was used for fun before its use on set.

The sheriff says there were was other ammunition in the fun fired by Baldwin.

Further investigations are pending. All the evidence is going to the FBI crime lab for testing.

The local District Attorney said at the press conference: “No one has been ruled out at this point. Right now [Alec Baldwin] is an active part of this investigation.”

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News