Friday, May 22, 2026

Paramount Changes Chiefs and “Clifford the Big Red Dog” Gets His Bite Back for a November Release

Share

You may recall the live action version of “Clifford the Big Red Dog” was supposed to a gala presentation at the Toronto Film Festival. It was set to open by Paramount right after that, on September 17th.

Then Paramount pulled the kid friendly film from their schedule and said it was because of COVID. They said they didn’t want to hurt kids. But they still released “PAW Patrol” for kids onAugust 20th, which has done pretty well. So nothing really made sense.

Well, then Viacom fired studio chief Jim Gianopolous and replaced him with Brian Robbins, who comes from the Nickelodeon division. Now “Clifford” is back on the schedule, for November 10th, in theaters and on Paramount Plus.

Is this the case of the tail wagging the dog? Obviously, Gianopolous didn’t like the film or was really nervous about kids getting COVID. Was that what made Paramount send him to the pound? Anyway, Robbins is pro-“Clifford,” and who isn’t? Time to get him out of the dog house and up on the screen!

Will we start to see more Paramount releases soon? Or this just a bone Robbins is throwing us? We’ll have to chew on that.

And let’s have a sense of humor about all this, kids. We don’t often get such golden (retriever) opportunities for puns!

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News