Friday, May 22, 2026

Britney Spears’ Potential Conservator Withdraws from Case Leaving Her Father As Sole Manager

Share

Bessemer Trust is passing on the chance to be Britney Spears co-conservator with her father.

The Trust, which hadn’t yet become part of the equation, filed papers today asking to be withdrawn from the soap opera.

The New York Times reports the Trust wrote: “As a result of the conservatee’s testimony at the June 23 hearing, however, Petitioner has become aware that the Conservatee objects to the continuance of her Conservatorship and desires to terminate the conservatorship,” the firm said in the court filing. “Petitioner has heard the Conservatee and respects her wishes.”

That would leave Jamie Spears as sole conservator of Britney’s $60 million estate.

And while it’s popular to yell “Free Britney!” and wish for Spears to be set free of controls, no one who’s saying that is thinking of the implications or responsibility. No one who writes “#Free Britney” on Twitter is willing to take care of her when she breaks down.

Right now, Jamie Spears is protecting Britney, and her two sons with Kevin Federline. Britney does not have custody of the boys, who are now “tweens,” and hasn’t proven that she’s able to care for them on her own.

Meantime, despite all the hoopla, the Times points out that her court-appointed lawyer, Samuel D. Ingham III, has not yet filed a formal request to terminate the conservatorship with the court. This is despite Britney’s now famous 24 minute phone call to the judge last week in which she said she wanted to sue her family and have another child.

What hasn’t happened yet in the #FreeBritney case is any kind of psychologist’s report. While her fans are of the best intentions, they might temper their enthusiasm until some actual facts are revealed.

As for Bessemer, they were like gossamer, with little substance. Cowards: no one will miss them.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News