Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Exclusive: Authorized Bill Cosby Documentary Commissioned by Major Studio and Comic’s Family, Director Hoping for “Access”

Share

It won’t be that soon, but in a couple of years we may see a feature length documentary about Bill Cosby’s fall from grace.

A major studio has made a deal for a Cosby doc by a filmmaker with at least one hit project on her resume.

For the moment, I’m not going to divulge the studio or filmmaker’s identities so they can continue with their work uninterrupted.

But I’ve spoken to the filmmaker, who’s in touch with Cosby and his family on a regular basis. She says Cosby– despite tabloid stories– is doing very well in prison. “He’s separated from the general pubic,” the filmmaker says, “but when he’s with them, he’s a star, and they’re delighted to see him. Imagine Bill with a captive audience.”

Camille Cosby has apparently agreed to be part of the film although it’s unclear how candid she will be. It’s the same for their daughters. But plenty of Cosby friends and loyalists are participating.

It’s also unclear still whether Cosby will be allowed to give an interview from prison. Cosby is incarcerated at Pennsylvania’s newest, biggest, and most expensive prison, State Correctional Institution Phoenix, a $400 million, 3,830-bed complex in Montgomery County.

Stay tuned…if this film comes off as planned, it will be huge…

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News