Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Sensitive Timing: Mel Gibson, Famed Hollywood Anti-Semite, Will Star in Detective Movie Produced by Philadelphia Eagles Minority Owner

Share

I like the timing of this. In a week when the discussion of anti-Semitism is at its peak thanks to the tragedy in Pittsburgh, Mel Gibson is back.

Mel, says the sensitive press release, will star in a movie called “Waldo,” from a little known British television director named Tim Kirkby. Charlie Hunnam (fresh off duds like “Papillon” and “King Arthur” will co-star with Eiza Gonzalez.)

The ironic part of the announcement it that the three producers involved are Jewish. They are Andrew Lazar, Christina Weiss Lurie, and Steve Shainberg. I’m surprised they wanted to work with him. I’m surprised he wanted to work with them.

Lurie is a minority owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, so that answers where the money is coming from. She also funds documentary films.

Mel is Hollywood’s most famous anti-Semite. He runs a church in Malibu for non-diocese Catholics who don’t believe in the Pope, and do believe Jews killed Jesus. He has $70 million parked in a private foundation to run the church.

In 2006, Mel was pulled over in a DUI and told the Jewish cop who pulled him over that “the Jews started all the wars.” Over and over, Mel has not not denied the existence of the Holocaust, not disowned statements by his father to the effect that the Holocaust never happened. His father, Hutton Gibson, is now 100 years old, seriously. Evil will not die.

In an interview I’ve cited many times, Mel said of the Holocaust, “it’s a numbers game,” meaning he thinks the number 6 million dead Jews is invented. Yet Andrew Lazar, Christina Weiss Lurie and Steve Shainberg think that’s ok.

I won’t see this movie, and most of the people I know won’t either. Mel has at least three other movies in the can or finishing up. I get it that they’re B films meant for international sales. But it doesn’t matter.

 

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News