Thursday, May 21, 2026

Robert Redford Says He’s Retiring from Acting At Age 81, One Last Film Coming this Fall

Share

Robert Redford says he’s retiring from acting. He’s making good on a comment he offered two years ago that the end was near.

He tells Entertainment Weekly that he may still direct. He won an Oscar in 1981 for directing “Ordinary People.”

His last film, “The Old Man and the Gun,” will be released at the end of September.

Redford has never won an Oscar for acting. He was nominated just once in 1974 for “The Sting.” One problem is that he’s not a campaigner– he’s never put much stock in soliciting awards. But he has plenty of films for which he should have been nominated, from “The Candidate” and “Jeremiah Johnson” to “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” “The Way We Were,” “Three Days of the Condor,” “Out of Africa,” “All the President’s Men,” and even more recently, his brilliant work in “All is Lost.” He was also excellent as Dan Rather in the little seen “Truth.”

Redford’s not going away. He still runs the Sundance Film Festival and all its organizations. He’s a vocal environmentalist. And maybe he will direct again, too.

 

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News