Sunday, May 24, 2026

Charlie Rose Staff Will Be Paid Through End of Year, Disgraced Newsman Focuses on Web Site Next

Share

UPDATE: Sunday night’s opening for the “60 Minutes” 50th anniversary featured just about anyone who’d done a segment for the show from Mike Wallace, Morley Safer et al through Katie Couric and Dan Rather. But no mention of Charlie Rose. He’s been erased. Sad.

EXCLUSIVE So what happens to Charlie Rose’s staff? The people who work for Rose at his PBS/Bloomberg show were blindsided last month as the New York Times incinerated Rose’s career with stories of his sexual misconduct. Within minutes, it seemed, The Charlie Rose Show, which aired on PBS and produced by Bloomberg, was over, pulled from the air for good.

The good news, if there is any, I am told, is that the staff is being paid through December 31st. Whatever happens next, at least they get that. Some may even continue to be paid, and this is why: Rose owns the show and the archives. And the archives, with more than 20 years of clips of interviews with celebrities, financial wizards, government leaders and so on are worth a fortune in licensing fees.

Not only that: Rose, who’s probably finished with the networks, can repurpose the material any way he likes. Right now, I’m told, he’s focusing on how best to maintain his website, www.charlierose.com. The website’s traffic has been on  straight increase in traffic since October, now ranking at around 12,775 on Alexa.com. Rose could turn the site into even more of a media destination, or sell the archives for a decent price.

Whatever happens, Rose is down but not out, that’s for sure. Last week he was seen dining late at night at Bilboquet, the Upper East Side hot spot. Diners did not shun him, but crowded his table for pictures and autographs.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News