Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Gandolfini Suffered Heart Attack in Hotel, Died in Ambulance

Share

From all accounts including NBC’s Today show interview this morning with the manager of the Exedra Hotel in Rome: James Gandolfini suffered his heart attack in the hotel. His son called an ambulance but it was too late to revive him. Gandolfini was traveling with his son, as I told you first last night, and one of his two sisters. They were still in Rome and planning to travel to Sicily for the Taormina Film Festival. A press conference was held this afternoon in Rome as well, reiterating all of this.

Initially I was told last night that everything had happened in a restaurant with the son. But my scoop from last night stands. http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/06/19/james-gandolfini-dies-at-age-51-in-italy He collapsed in the bathroom and the door had to be knocked down. Either way. it’s a tragedy.

Some more statements today– from Edie Falco: “I am shocked and devastated by Jim’s passing. He was a man of tremendous depth and sensitivity, with a kindness and generosity beyond words. I consider myself very lucky to have spent 10 years as his close colleague. My heart goes out to his family. As those of us in his pretend one hold on to the memories of our intense and beautiful time together. The love between Tony and Carmela was one of the greatest I’ve ever known.”

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News