Thursday, May 21, 2026

New “Die Hard” Flick Rates a Zero, Gets One Star from Fox-Owned NY Post

Share

UPDATE Thursday 12AM– Now 46 negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, five not negative. Rating is up to a robust 10%.

From Wednesday: “A Good Day to Die Hard” must be really, really bad. So far eight of eight reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes has given it a zero. And one of those reviewers was Lou Lumenick in the Murdoch-owned New York Post. “Die Hard” is a Fox franchise, also owned by Murdoch. But the Post says “Good Day” is “dead on arrival.” Lumenick adds: “There’s evidence of panicked last-minute editing on this film, which at 97 minutes is by far the shortest in a series whose previous installments each clocked in at more than two hours. But trust me, this one still moves so slowly that it feels like it’s longer than two hours.”

The other seven negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes include Tony Scott in the New York Times and a blogger named Brian Tallerico who says: “A complete waste of time on every level. Loud, obnoxious, boring, cartoonish, morally reprehensible, and just plain stupid.” Wow. “Good Day” opens tomorrow, Valentine’s Day, for some reason.

PS The original director of the “Die Hard” series, John McTiernan, was unavailable this time. He’s serving a year long prison sentence connected to the Anthony Pellicano scandal. Seems like they should have waited to make this “Die Hard” until he was out.

Donate to Showbiz411.com

Showbiz411 is now in its 13th year of providing breaking and exclusive entertainment news. This is an independent site, unlike the many Hollywood trades that are owned by one company. To continue providing news that takes a fresh look at what's going on in movies, music, theater, etc, advertising is our basis. Reader donations would be greatly appreciated, too. They are just another facet of keeping fact based journalism alive.
Thank you


Roger Friedman
Roger Friedmanhttps://www.showbiz411.com
Roger Friedman is the founder and editor-in-chief of Showbiz411. He wrote the FOX411 column on FoxNews.com from 1999 to 2009 and previously edited Fame magazine and wrote the "Intelligencer" column at New York magazine. His bylines have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, Vogue, Details, and the Miami Herald. He is a voting member of the Critics Choice Awards (Film and Television branches), and his movie reviews are tracked by Rotten Tomatoes. is articles have appeared in dozens of publications over the years including New York Magazine, where he wrote the Intelligencer column in the mid 90s and covered the OJ Simpson trial, and Fox News (when it wasn't so crazy) where he covered Michael Jackson. With D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, he co-produced the 2002 documentary "Only the Strong Survive," which screened at Directors' Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.

Read more

In Other News